ElaKiri Community
Downloads
Go Back   ElaKiri Community > General > ElaKiri Help
Reload this Page Can a passenger plane stop in mid air ??? How???

(#1)
Old
Y2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via Yahoo to Y2K Send a message via Skype™ to Y2K
Oh! Can a passenger plane stop in mid air ??? How??? - 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM

Can a passenger plane stop in mid air ??? How???

Mchan I saw a passenger plane stop in mid air near the air port in Oman how could this be ?

we know according to the laws of physics that can't be but why its happening

it seems optical illusion but why pls explain in detail
(#2)
Old
VSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the rough

03-24-2010, 06:06 PM

if the forces acting on the plane on opposite directions are equal it can stop - But again what are da chances of that happening?
(#3)
Old
Y2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura aboutY2K has a spectacular aura about

03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

I got the same answer from my friend but if the wind speed equal to airspeed yeah that can happen but then i think plane will fall .... isn't it?
(#4)
Old
thathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of lightthathsara.sl is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to thathsara.sl Send a message via Skype™ to thathsara.sl
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post

Mchan I saw a passenger plane stop in mid air near the air port in Oman how could this be ?

we know according to the laws of physics that can't be but why its happening

it seems optical illusion but why pls explain in detail
It depends on distance from plane to your place.angle,direction which it flied...
(#5)
Old
VSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the roughVSGM is a jewel in the rough

03-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I got the same answer from my friend but if the wind speed equal to airspeed yeah that can happen but then i think plane will fall .... isn't it?
no idea
(#6)
Old

03-24-2010, 06:14 PM

No mchan I saw it from different angles .... plane is not that too far even ..... direction is opposite so wht ?
(#7)
Old
fazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of lightfazil00789 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to fazil00789 Send a message via Skype™ to fazil00789
03-24-2010, 06:15 PM

yer it can be stopped in the mid air bt i dont no hw...........macho
(#8)
Old

03-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
No mchan I saw it from different angles .... plane is not that too far even ..... direction is opposite so wht ?
r u sure it was a plane, not a helicopter or some thing similar?
(#9)
Old

03-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Hey I got this frm yahoo answers:

Relative to the ground? Yes. If the headwind is equal to the airspeed, they cancel each other out and you would see a plane stationary in the sky. However, you'd need wind speeds of at least 200mph for most planes. Think of how they test scale plane models in wind tunnels - the wind does the moving, not the plane, yet it still "flies".

blac[k]u was inintentionally right when saying "can't never" - a double negative, again cancelling each other out!
(#10)
Old

03-24-2010, 06:19 PM

It depends on your definition of "stop" and "stationary'. Any fixed wing airplane can remain over the the same ground reference point if the airflow over (actually around & past) the wing is sufficient to maintain lift as well as impede forward progress. Such an aircraft would have "x" true airspeed, but a ground speed of zero. In fact a plane can even fly "in reverse" with a sufficiently strong enough headwind.

Such conditions are very seldom encountered, but are possible. This phenomenon (ground speed vs true airspeed) is the explanation why east- to-west travel takes somewhat longer than west-to-east travel. It's the effect high velocity upper atmosphere wind (jetstream). I answered this question in greater detail sometime back. RJ