Charles Wijewardena charity rugby match today

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    Several star players will be seen in action when the combined CR-Police-Air Force scrum down with a star-studded Kandy Sports Club team in a charity rugby match to be played at Nittawela today.

The match is organised in honour of the late Charles Wijewardena who died under tragic circumstances when he was on duty in the North last year.

Police Rugby Committee is organising the charity rugby match with the assistance of Kandy Sports Club, Air Force and CR & FC.

The Maharajah Organisation has allocated free air time to telecast this encounter on Sirasa TV and also carry out a propaganda programme to make this event a success.

All arrangements have been finalised for the much looked forward to game. Central Province DIG Nimal Mediwaka, officials of the Kandy SC and former SLRFU President Malik Samarawickrema, have put a lot of effort to make this event a success.

Large crowds are expected to watch this match and Kandy Sports Club have agreed to donate Rs. one million to the Charles Wijewardena family as a token of appreciation of late Wijewardena's contribution to Sri Lanka Rugby.

All proceeds out of this event will also be donated to the Wijewardena family.

Better known as `Mr. Reliable' and `King Charlie' during his day, the late Wijewardena is one of the finest place kickers that Sri Lanka has ever produced.

This unassuming, simple and humble officer was brutally murdered in Inuvil, Jaffna, by the LTTE, whilst performing his official duties.

A member of the Police Rugby Committee said they are grateful to all those who have contributed for this worthy cause from the inception of this programme and we are looking forward to see all Charles Wijewardena and Sri Lankan Rugby fans to be present at Nittawela for a worthy cause.

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    u gonna watch it or wat mate?? damn I miss watching Rugby so much..and yo Kandy's gonna win it..no doubt..Kandy haven't been performing up to their standards lately tho yahh?? and Bua any news about our national team..did they qualify for the world cup or wat? I'm a bit late on receiving rugby news on this end..So pls keep us updated..thx :D

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    The Maharajah Organisation has allocated free air time to telecast this encounter on Sirasa TV and also carry out a propaganda programme to make this event a success.

yeaaa boyyy..record it will ya:yes:

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    damn..think we should do a lil hat collection to buy you a capture card and a vid camera :lol: godd man.. haven't seen Kandy playin for almost 3 yrs now.

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    Lich said:
    machan

is it telecasting in TV
    yeah machan, the match is telecast on SIRASA TV from 4:30 onwards..I dun know who are the CR players for todays game.

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    systemoad said:
    u gonna watch it or wat mate?? damn I miss watching Rugby so much..and yo Kandy's gonna win it..no doubt..Kandy haven't been performing up to their standards lately tho yahh?? and Bua any news about our national team..did they qualify for the world cup or wat? I'm a bit late on receiving rugby news on this end..So pls keep us updated..thx :D

machan, I have put ma views just after da game againts Hong Kong and as "Dream Collapsed" in sports section. Hokg Kong defeated SL by high margin, and SL team does not qullified for RWC 2007. if talking about todays game., yeah most probobley Kandy will win the game and the good news for andy is Laga has came for coach da Kandy team in dis season. Laga is da best coach dat i hav ever seen. If we look da Kandy Line up. there are three names and the result may depends on thir performences. dat is Sanjeewa, Fazil, and Sajith. if the organizers realy wants to make an xciting game to the viewers. The majority of the XV must consist from CR.:yes:

Last edited:

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    whoaaa..64-05.. that's awesome man..let's see if Lich was able to record it.

Bua> ohhh..din see ya post dude..we're too new to the international arena I guess..thanks for ya reply mate.

Lich

May 4, 2006
    Warcraft III DOTA Map
    nah dude.. i couldnt record it..

i was in the Iraj's place. sorry guys.......

but i have seen the match.. no game to Kandy..

Two Weerakkody rocks Kandy team/....

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    both of 'em are playing together or one comes in the second half or something like that? from what I've seen lil bro is better than Nalakha. Have you seen him in school matches man? the lad's pretty darn good. wonders of Kingswood..they always have a tough line up when it comes to rugby.

machan Lich..dude, u gotta work out ya problem with the capture card..we are so desperate..lol

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    Kandy hammered Combined XV by 64-5 as u know. I have tols if da organizers make dis game as an exciting game, the majority of combined XV must consist wit CR Players. But I havent sceen any single star player from CR at all. Other thing is Kandy used their full strenth for a game againts dis kinda team.;) . it waz absoluteley useless i reckon because guys like Nalaka,Sajith and Sanjaeewa would have prevent from playing and they getting degrade because of dis. In other hand some would say they have play dis game as a paying tribute for such a wonderfull Rugby Player /Police man n "Human" like Charlie. Actualy that place kicks of Nalaka has braought back da memories of rugby fans to late 70's again how dat Charlie's Golden Boot was
    works to victories of Police SC in thet period.:yes: .

In case of the weerakody brothers, Eranda also have da ability to complete da place kicks like Nalaka. I'msaying dat because I have seen hes place kicks in da game between Royal v Kingswood and Eranda has converted every try to a goal as I remember. it was so fantastic and it waz so valuable because Kingswood have never played againts Royal in Royal Rugby grounds b4. let see what he can do on next league games.:yes:

Lich

May 4, 2006
    Warcraft III DOTA Map
    yes machan i agree to u.

but that combined team have to consist of all the best of CMB players and Kandy team . if we select like that then we have a real match. but Kandy full team played coz to tribute Charilie..

finally no offense to anyone. kandy wins..

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    Lich said:
    finally no offense to anyone. kandy wins..

no doubt:yes:

about Eranga..he's not even like his bro eh? the dude's like three times skinnier than Nalakha and still he's got the best moves..man his drop kicks are awesome..I saw his last minute drop kick against St. Anthony's in 2003 which qualified Kingswood for the president's trophy or Milo cup finals..It's amazing when this guy's in the field..and most importantly he doesn't brag about himself ;)

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    systemoad said:
    no doubt:yes:

about Eranga..he's not even like his bro eh? the dude's like three times skinnier than Nalakha and still he's got the best moves..man his drop kicks are awesome..I saw his last minute drop kick against St. Anthony's in 2003 which qualified Kingswood for the president's trophy or Milo cup finals..It's amazing when this guy's in the field..and most importantly he doesn't brag about himself ;)

I think the performence of Kingswood College rugby was not depends on Eranda. Because I can see their was a rapid improvement in Kingswood Rugby from 2002. before that Kingswood was not considedered as a strong side thugh they started the schools rugby in history. Kingswood was promoted from B Division in 2003 after being the champs in "B" division. they were unbeaten since 2004 as I know. I guess Ronnie Ibrahim is the man behind of the sucsess of Kingswood Rugby. am correct Machan????

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    yep
    Kingswood haven't been beaten since then until St. Anthony's beat them last year in their way to the president's trophy..unfortunately the SACK team couldn't make it through to the finals..However Ronnie's been rocking the hometown with his mighty Kingswoodian team ever since..and yahh machan..Eranga's not the only person who shone colours in school matches. you could probably add all the players to that list..They are tough to beat..specially in Nittawela and Bogambara

BUA

• May 4, 2006
    Touch Line
    systemoad said:
    yep
    They are tough to beat..specially in Nittawela and Bogambara

Yeah i guess Fazils team was better dan Eranga's team isnt it. Because eranga's team got suffered in Blaze Sheild againts Wesley in Colombo las year, waznt it machan?

systemoad

May 5, 2006
    have't got a friggin clue bang.. :lol: I told ya..i'm not up to date with the latest Rugby news..I'm guessing Fazil's the cap of Wesley..?? Is he good? I don't see him in the national team or isn't the national rugby squad page been updated? however there's like 4 or 5 Anthonians in the 1st XV..no surprise there..
    Amjad Buksh's the other guy frm Kingswood eh? well Kandy thought he's good but I seriously doubt that he'll beat Anthonys's own Chathuranga..not any of my business to poke fingers into tho..whatever:lol:
    machan, are their local rugby videos available in video stores? I need watch some man..have had enough watching Australian league matches..So let me kno soon aite.