Search
Search titles only
By:
Search titles only
By:
Log in
Register
Search
Search titles only
By:
Search titles only
By:
Menu
Install the app
Install
Forums
New posts
All threads
Latest threads
New posts
Trending threads
Trending
Search forums
What's new
New posts
New ads
New profile posts
Latest activity
Free Ads
Latest reviews
Search ads
Members
Current visitors
New profile posts
Search profile posts
Contact us
Latest ads
Google Pixel 9 Pro
vgp
Updated:
Yesterday at 5:57 PM
Ad icon
Jobreceive.com for sale
Blogerwiki
Updated:
Tuesday at 8:55 PM
Post Your Vehicle for Sale — FREE! - https://libro.lk
Kalu_Puth
Updated:
Tuesday at 7:38 PM
ඔයාගෙ Assignment හෝ Thesis එක හරියට හදාගමු
ErMurazor
Updated:
Saturday at 10:52 PM
Ad icon
BlackWall V2ray servers
hu KANNA
Updated:
Sep 23, 2026
Electronics
Vehicles
Property
Search
Reply to thread
Forums
General
ElaKiri Talk!
Ahead To Launch The 6TH Mobile Operator!?
Get the App
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Message
<blockquote data-quote="watchdogg" data-source="post: 3997942" data-attributes="member: 171318"><p><strong><span style="font-size: 15px"><span style="color: indigo">New mobile operator clashes with TRC</span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><strong><em>A Sri Lankan firm is going ahead with launching the country's sixth mobile operator, despite the regulator saying the firm doesn’t have a proper licence to do so. B.A.C. Abeywardana, Managing Director Elektroteks Ltd told The Sunday Times FT that the licence which the company got in 1991 is a carbon copy of the Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) licence, both of which were granted during the same period.</em></strong></span></span></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><em>"My licence is identical to that of SLT. Elektroteks without any restriction can have a telecom network anytime to use any technology (that is available presently)," he said, adding that the licence addresses three areas - voice, video and data transfers.</em></span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><em>However, the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRC) asserts that Mr. Abeywardana needs to make necessary amendments to his licence. "Under Section 17 of the Telecommunications Act, there were three licences issued to three of his firms. We told him that he needs to amend these accordingly to start a mobile communications network," a senior TRC official, who did not wish to be named, said.</em></span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><em>He said Mr. Abeywardena has two External Gateway Operator licences and a facility based data communications licence and that these licences do not account for a mobile operator’s licence.</em></span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><em>But Mr. Abeywardana insisted that what he has is a ‘carbon copy’ of the SLT licence, which the TRC disputes. Mr. Abeywardena said in a year he hopes to start the new operation and was confident he can get the 'people's' support. "I will be a 100% people owned company," he said. </em></span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: green"><em>Presently there are five operators in the island, of which Airtel was the latest to launch. Telecom industry analysts say the market is saturated at present to accommodate a sixth operator. Sri Lanka has approximately five million mobile subscribers at present, which is expected to double by the year end.</em></span></span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="font-size: 15px"><span style="color: red"><strong>Conclusion By WatchDogg</strong></span></span></strong></p><p> <strong></strong></p><p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000"><span style="font-size: 12px"><span style="color: blue">My opinion is that currently with the latest launch of the Airtel mobile operator, the mobile operation industry is at a saturated level and cant grow more than that, In this situation with the launch of the 6th operator I don’t think is a good idea as currently even Airtel will face problems as other existing mobile operators are on their strategic plans to cope with saturated industry hence this will hurt industry more with the 6th operator. I don’t agree with the 6th launch of the mobile operation! This is enough!</span></span></span></strong></p><p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000"></span></strong></p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="watchdogg, post: 3997942, member: 171318"] [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=indigo]New mobile operator clashes with TRC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=3][COLOR=green][B][I]A Sri Lankan firm is going ahead with launching the country's sixth mobile operator, despite the regulator saying the firm doesn’t have a proper licence to do so. B.A.C. Abeywardana, Managing Director Elektroteks Ltd told The Sunday Times FT that the licence which the company got in 1991 is a carbon copy of the Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) licence, both of which were granted during the same period.[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=green][I]"My licence is identical to that of SLT. Elektroteks without any restriction can have a telecom network anytime to use any technology (that is available presently)," he said, adding that the licence addresses three areas - voice, video and data transfers.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=green][I]However, the Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRC) asserts that Mr. Abeywardana needs to make necessary amendments to his licence. "Under Section 17 of the Telecommunications Act, there were three licences issued to three of his firms. We told him that he needs to amend these accordingly to start a mobile communications network," a senior TRC official, who did not wish to be named, said.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=green][I]He said Mr. Abeywardena has two External Gateway Operator licences and a facility based data communications licence and that these licences do not account for a mobile operator’s licence.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=green][I]But Mr. Abeywardana insisted that what he has is a ‘carbon copy’ of the SLT licence, which the TRC disputes. Mr. Abeywardena said in a year he hopes to start the new operation and was confident he can get the 'people's' support. "I will be a 100% people owned company," he said. [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=green][I]Presently there are five operators in the island, of which Airtel was the latest to launch. Telecom industry analysts say the market is saturated at present to accommodate a sixth operator. Sri Lanka has approximately five million mobile subscribers at present, which is expected to double by the year end.[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]Conclusion By WatchDogg[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]My opinion is that currently with the latest launch of the Airtel mobile operator, the mobile operation industry is at a saturated level and cant grow more than that, In this situation with the launch of the 6th operator I don’t think is a good idea as currently even Airtel will face problems as other existing mobile operators are on their strategic plans to cope with saturated industry hence this will hurt industry more with the 6th operator. I don’t agree with the 6th launch of the mobile operation! This is enough![/COLOR][/SIZE] [/COLOR][/B] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Awruddata maasa keeyada?
Post reply
Top
Bottom