Genres: Animation, Drama, War
After a long time, I decided to watch this again, although I usually avoid it like the plague because it gets to me every time. Despite having seen numerous movies and TV shows over the years, I don't know why, but this one is the only film that makes me want to cry, and I did. Again. I hate it for the genuine sadness it evokes in me, yet at the same time, I'm also in love with it.
"As World War II reaches its conclusion in 1945, Japan faces widespread destruction in the form of American bombings, devastating city after city.
Hotaru no Haka, also known as
Grave of the Fireflies, is the story of Seita and his sister Setsuko, two Japanese children whose lives are ravaged by the brutal war. They have lost their mother, their father, their home, and the prospect of a bright futureâall tragic consequences of the war.
Now orphaned and homeless, Seita and Setsuko have no choice but to drift across the countryside, beset by starvation and disease. Met with the apathy of adults along the way, they find that desperate circumstances can turn even the kindest of people cruel yet their youthful hope shines brightly in the face of unrelenting hardship, preventing the siblings from swiftly succumbing to an inevitable fate."