Reactive vs Proactive. Why we fail as a country

kingcharith

• Aug 18, 2018
    This is one of the most unfortunate management failures in Sri Lanka. Regardless of the government, always we fail to take proactive measures. For example lets take Covid 19 situation.

• When last july 2020 when we successfully taken Covid situation under the control, Nothing was done to proactively make sure it is not appeared again. Most of the government officials were arrogantly look down over the virus and the other countries like italy who couldn't control it.
    • We didn't think of what to do if cases spike in future, How to progressively gain vaccine orders, Proper planning of risk management nothing was done.
    • Until india started the vaccine maithri, Sri Lankans did not even had a idea of vaccination.
    • Now suddenly with the increase and spike of covid , we acting like a natural disaster befall on u
    • When the covid cases were spiked, Government's decision was to enforce travel restrictions. But not a single thoughts were given how to handle day today operations,
    • We no longer has enough transport or oxygen. I still haven't seen other than some beds, we have taken measures to fix it.
    Why we always take reactive decisions. Where are all the policy makers ? Covid not started today. it started 1.5 years ago. WHO predicts the covid will be lesson in 2024. We don't have a single proactive, mid term , long term goals.

Look at Singapore for example and how they proactively plan the whole situation. How they invested in ongoing vaccines.
    Such a shame as a country that we fail to do proactive planning

kingcharith

• Aug 18, 2018
    Because we're a broke ass country

You can't proactively buy a face mask if all you can afford right now is your next meal

That may be not true. If you are saying Sri lanka is broke enough to couldnt even control a decease then we might as well declare bankruptcy. I think the reality is that poor management.

Hyaenidae

• Apr 8, 2015
    That may be not true. If you are saying Sri lanka is broke enough to couldnt even control a decease then we might as well declare bankruptcy. I think the reality is that poor management.

That we can agree on - poor management has been driving this country towards bankruptcy since the independence

kingcharith

• Aug 18, 2018
    I think we don't want and we don't have a plan.

Main problem is reactive planning create heroes. If you analyze most news articles, It always talk how they control the situation like heroes. Nobody talk what could have taken as a precautions and what was their proactive planning which was failed. Sri Lanka needs public retrospective in every event.