"Sinhala Only Act " Official Language Act No. 33 of 1956 by SWRD

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    Guys, I think what I'm going to discuss here is somewhat appropriate as English proficiency among our people seems to be questioned after the recent viral went when present asked a lady to speak in English, her being an English teacher or educator,

I think, S W R D Bandaranayake was the one who created all these when he sworn to make Sinhalese as the official language in Sri Lanka leading us to nowhere but to a complete abyss. we are somewhat left alone due to the lack of universal language knowledge

Please share your thoughts !

P:S this is not for the people who comes to argue with me on 2500+ years proud history and the heritage we have just to see and boast !

Reactions: R O B U S T A

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    Japan, China or Korea did not develop giving English the foremost place.

A majority of the trade happens internally. People trade with each other within the country most.

A secondary language such as English or Mandarin is preferable. This is good if the person wants to trade externally, further their education beyond the basics or engage in diplomacy beyond borders.

However, a majority of the people will be born in the island and die within the island without needing English. They need to be educated in the mother tongue first and foremost.

An English teacher most certainly should be able to speak English. Inability to speak the language they teach is not the fault of SWRD or his language policy.

2osama

• Oct 25, 2010
    මාලඹේ

A majority of the trade happens internally. People trade with each other within the country most.

A secondary language such as English or Mandarin is preferable. This is good if the person wants to trade externally, further their education beyond the basics or engage in diplomacy beyond borders.

However, a majority of the people will be born in the island and die within the island without needing English. They need to be educated in the mother tongue first and foremost.

An English teacher most certainly should be able to speak English. Inability to speak the language they teach is not the fault of SWRD or his language policy.
    Thread Closed 🔐🔐

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009

Lets not take China, Japan and Korea, How about, Singapore ?

No point talking to you as you seems to be an illegitimate child of Bandaranayake ! thread is now closed

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    Lets not take China, Japan and Korea, How about, Singapore ?
    Singapore is a newly formed city state. Its entire existence is given to trade and not much else.

Sri Lanka hosts a civilisation with many facets - not just trade.

Sri Lanka can do what Singapore does within the limits of Colombo. The rest of the island does not need to follow suit.

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    Singapore is a newly formed city state. Its entire existence is given to trade and not much else.

Sri Lanka hosts a civilisation with many facets - not just trade.

Sri Lanka can do what Singapore does within the limits of Colombo. The rest of the island does not need to follow suit.
    Im not discussing the economics alone, having an universal language will robust everything, that's what I can tell on a nutshell. Take India as an example, though their GDP per capita is low but their nominal is high, vast industries can be accessed if we can overcome the language barrier

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    India is like the European Union. Its is a union of nation states. A universal language certainly helps to operate between states.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka is a single nation state. It does not have multiple nations within its borders like India that necessitates such a setup.

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    India is like the European Union. Its is a union of nation states. A universal language certainly helps to operate between states.

On the other hand, Sri Lanka is a single nation state. It does not have multiple nations within its borders like India that necessitates such a setup.
    Com'on how about the knowledge distribution and getting updates from all around the world ? in Sri Lanka most of our people just get the feeds from local printed or digital medias, even majority follows only local language for their feasibility to understand everything on comfort zone. I guess i do not have to tell you how our local media behaves, how many of Sri Lankans just try to watch even a Tedtalk or something like myth-busters? all because of the language barrier.

we learn Sinhalese somehow because we talk that language but English is a qualification in Sri Lanka not a language which has converted in that way by your illegitimate father or grand father SWRD. otherwise we will use English as our official language, I don't know about you but majority of Sri Lankas are with me on this, I mean majority of wiser people in Sri Lanka, also who doesn't have illegitimate genes.

also, Your this co-father or co-grandfather only led this country to have a wonderful civil war over 30 years. better you go there and stand near the tombstone you might get blessed by few lightning strikes. even Elakiri would have been a much better place than this if had knew bit of more English to talk with the world.

don't come and show your naked points by highlighting economy or other facts, just talk in general, SWRD sent all his children aboard to study where our people had to follow his dark paths (your father or grandfather might have sent aboard by SWRD along with his children). as I know he used to eat milk rice from a fork while using English pipe with fine British accents then heading to the stage with a Sri Lankan national suit to fool our people.

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    Your this co-father or co-grandfather only led this country to have a wonderful civil war over 30 years.
    I don't think that is correct. It was the Tamils who started a civil war.
    I guess i do not have to tell you how our local media behaves, how many of Sri Lankans just try to watch even a Tedtalk or something like myth-busters? all because of the language barrier.
    Millions of Chinese cannot speak English either. Although they do quite well without Ted talks and myth-busters. These represent only one of many knowledge systems.

In most situations, the local knowledge is more than adequate to live a simple fulfilling life without complications.

Last edited:

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    I don't think that is correct. It was the Tamils who started a civil war.

Millions of Chinese cannot speak English either. Although they do quite well without Ted talks and myth-busters. These represent only one of many knowledge systems.

In most situations, the local knowledge is more than adequate to live a simple fulfilling life without complications.

Go and Read some history books, Tamils never started it, they wanted us to start, if we acted smart these things wouldn't ever existed, start with MGR and Read them, I don't want to tell the story, you better do your own. Alfred Duraiappah's assassination was not the initial step of LTTE. it was a political organization grew within our SWRDs time and he wanted it to exist

Ha Ha Ha Ha adequate life ? in Sri Lanka simple fulfilling life ?

Why always china and Japan ? don't you know the conversations and knowledge distribution among those languages are very high compare to our one ? how many native Chinese speakers are there in the world ? billions , how about Japan so the Korea ! how about our Asikland ? Com'on grow up, see the bigger picture here.

do you know 90% of the research papers in the world are written in English, whenever there is a new knowledge pops out, most properly that will be published in English soon after, people like you always wanted our people to live a simple life by highlighting the vernacular but not allowing the grow.

always look at the wider picture, Sinhalese is going down.

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    Well, a summary is provided here. I am not trying to impose my view on you. Although if looking for solutions I suggest reading the summary and giving me specific items you are in disagreement.
    I read your qoura link, when you don't tell everything at once but few parts in between, the whole conceptual idea of the story is violated, what he says is true but where the the timeline shows the act of 1956 making Sinhalese as the official language whilst all the Tamil and English speaking professionals had to repeat their academics in Sinhalese, most of them left the country for good which is happening to date because people like you literally drives this country to hell !

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    making Sinhalese as the official language whilst all the Tamil and English speaking professionals had to repeat their academics in Sinhalese, most of them left the country for good which is happening to date because people like you literally drives this country to hell!
    Well, that is not true. No one was forced to re-do their academic qualification in Sinhala.

The language issue and the Tamil problem are entirely 2 different things. People left because of the civil-war the Tamils started.

This is the home of the Sinhala people. If you cannot give Sinhala language the first position here where else can you do it? Surely you understand being a Sinhala person and all?

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    Well, that is not true. No one was forced to re-do their academic qualification in Sinhala.

The language issue and the Tamil problem are entirely 2 different things. People left because of the civil-war the Tamils started.

This is the home of the Sinhala people. If you cannot give Sinhala language the first position here where else can you do it? Surely you understand being a Sinhala person and all?

"Well, that is not true. No one was forced to re-do their academic qualification in Sinhala."

it is, once the official language has changed to Sinhalese and the administration work also had changed, so they had literally asked to do

"The language issue and the Tamil problem are entirely 2 different things. People left because of the civil-war the Tamils started."

Language issue was the key to all these, they wanted a liberal state as they knew whats going to happen, and here I'm not talking about asylum seekers who left as refugees during the war, I'm talking about the professionals left the country upon 1956 ACT, way before the civil war

"This is the home of the Sinhala people. If you cannot give Sinhala language the first position here where else can you do it? Surely you understand being a Sinhala person and all?"

this is not about giving the first preference or so, what did we gain by having this so called first preference, when my grand father was studying, he was taught Sri Lanka is a Third world developing nation, so my father did hear the same, then we start to school and we also heard the same that Sri Lanka is a Third world developing nation, having this first preference for three generation after the independence is that what we have got ?

you know we might have 2500+ history, but none of them matters now, US doesn't have a history, neither Australia, New Zealand, or Take Germany or Canada like us but they knew boasting the history won't work its all about the globalization and going ahead with the world on a parallel way.

Im somewhat ashamed to be a Sinhalese when I look what our ancestors did, we had 184+- kings over half of them had ruled by superseding some controversial acts, such as killing father to get throne, then niece, or take the latest one family just rule the whole nation, is there anything left to talk when we discuss our proud history ? do they matter now ? when other nations are started to send rockets and satellites we are still just looking at our Mahawansaya and boast. Grow up see wider

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    Language issue was the key to all these, they wanted a liberal state
    I don't think you read the Quora article. The Tamils wants parity of power. That means 50% of the political power. When they mean "equality", they mean 50:50.

The Tamil homeland idea was presented in 1949. The Tamils aren't even native. What liberal after presenting Tamil-only homeland covering 50% of the land?

The language policy was introduced in 1965. The Tamils started the riot in 1957 when the civil disabilities act was introduced that abolished caste discrimination.
    Im somewhat ashamed to be a Sinhalese
    You can always leave the country if you wanted.

Reactions: sithija.h

pavanruka

• Mar 17, 2015
    Colombo
    Com'on how about the knowledge distribution and getting updates from all around the world ? in Sri Lanka most of our people just get the feeds from local printed or digital medias, even majority follows only local language for their feasibility to understand everything on comfort zone. I guess i do not have to tell you how our local media behaves, how many of Sri Lankans just try to watch even a Tedtalk or something like myth-busters? all because of the language barrier.

we learn Sinhalese somehow because we talk that language but English is a qualification in Sri Lanka not a language which has converted in that way by your illegitimate father or grand father SWRD. otherwise we will use English as our official language, I don't know about you but majority of Sri Lankas are with me on this, I mean majority of wiser people in Sri Lanka, also who doesn't have illegitimate genes.

also, Your this co-father or co-grandfather only led this country to have a wonderful civil war over 30 years. better you go there and stand near the tombstone you might get blessed by few lightning strikes. even Elakiri would have been a much better place than this if had knew bit of more English to talk with the world.

don't come and show your naked points by highlighting economy or other facts, just talk in general, SWRD sent all his children aboard to study where our people had to follow his dark paths (your father or grandfather might have sent aboard by SWRD along with his children). as I know he used to eat milk rice from a fork while using English pipe with fine British accents then heading to the stage with a Sri Lankan national suit to fool our people.
    What you say is absolutely true, particularly the last para. I have been saying this very thing over and over in this forum in the past. SWRD was simply targeting the 'illiterate' Sinhalese votes when he brought up this Act which has eventually led us into the mess we're in. However, his children were sent to UK for studies as you say. This was the major reason for the Tamils to agitate though they were doing it in a small way during that time.

Reactions: sam_sajith