Do children need privacy from parents?

Renu77

• Apr 28, 2021
    I personally feel that child and parents need to meet in the middle and develop a healthy way to trust in each other and each of your decisions. ... As a parent, you can't demand trust.

Since they pay for my cell phone and my monthly bill can they penetrate my personal space and decide what's best for me. In fact, it can lead to a host of unwanted consequences, like building mutual distrust between parents and children. It can backfire and encourage children to try even harder to hide risky behavior because they know parents are looking for it. Is it common for parents to digitally snoop on their kids.

Don’t you think that they should inform me if they want to check my phone before checking it????

tha123

• Mar 4, 2015
    depends on age mchn... podi kaale krnna one... 15-20 wge weddi ehem nokr wena krma wlin eyaala krnne monvd kyl blla api ewa dnnv wge waradi wda warn krhm hndai kyla hithennee.... ethkotth nokr innv hbai lamainge privacyth rakenv... after 20 wgenm bn hota daanna honda nha mokda gedrta lamaya unaata(lankawe ithm mrry krla gedrin wen wenne26n wgene) aththtm pora adult knk....

Reactions: Renu77

tharakaf

• Oct 19, 2020
    I personally feel that child and parents need to meet in the middle and develop a healthy way to trust in each other and each of your decisions. ... As a parent, you can't demand trust.

Since they pay for my cell phone and my monthly bill can they penetrate my personal space and decide what's best for me. In fact, it can lead to a host of unwanted consequences, like building mutual distrust between parents and children. It can backfire and encourage children to try even harder to hide risky behavior because they know parents are looking for it. Is it common for parents to digitally snoop on their kids.

Don’t you think that they should inform me if they want to check my phone before checking it????
    Do you have anything to hide from your parents? If you aren't doing anything illegal or harmful for your age I don't think you have anything to whine about on this forum.
    Based on the current society I think it is ok to allow parents to encroach the privacy of kids because it is always better to do it rather than been sorry later.
    Also it will depend on how open your parents are.

AnuradhaRa

• Dec 25, 2010
    Negombo
    Do you have anything to hide from your parents? If you aren't doing anything illegal or harmful for your age I don't think you have anything to whine about on this forum.
    Based on the current society I think it is ok to allow parents to encroach the privacy of kids because it is always better to do it rather than been sorry later.
    පුහ් !

Renu77

• Apr 28, 2021
    depends on age mchn... podi kaale krnna one... 15-20 wge weddi ehem nokr wena krma wlin eyaala krnne monvd kyl blla api ewa dnnv wge waradi wda warn krhm hndai kyla hithennee.... ethkotth nokr innv hbai lamainge privacyth rakenv... after 20 wgenm bn hota daanna honda nha mokda gedrta lamaya unaata(lankawe ithm mrry krla gedrin wen wenne26n wgene) aththtm pora adult knk....
    හරියටම හරි මචං... තරැන ලමයින්ට එයාලගෙ නිදහස දෙන්නෙ නැහැ කියන්නෙ එයාලව trust කරන්නෙ නැහැ කියන එක හෝ එයාල මුහුකුරා නොගිහින් කියන එකයි මගෙ මතය....

aquaman2020

• Dec 23, 2020
    Bangkok
    From that logic, are you ok with government spying / monitoring on you? As you said, if you have nothing to hide / if you don't do anything illegal, why bother raaaaaaaight?

Renu77

• Apr 28, 2021
    Well, question is not if I have anything to hide or not. Parents often violate the privacy of their adult children by entering bedrooms without knocking, attempting to overhear telephone conversations, opening personal mail, infringing on personal time, giving unsolicited advice, and going through personal possessions. Don’t you think this behaviour put your children self esteem down??? When you have an adult child they need their personal space no matter which country they live..... I feel parents should be open to ask if children need any help rather than forcing them... do you appreciate if someone spy on you

Yes, but it depends :yes:
    Depends on what grounds
    ------ Post added on May 11, 2021 at 8:13 AM

Owa hitanna epa😟 2nd shy karamu
    Some really understand others feelings
    ------ Post added on May 11, 2021 at 8:15 AM

From that logic, are you ok with government spying / monitoring on you? As you said, if you have nothing to hide / if you don't do anything illegal, why bother raaaaaaaight?
    Absolutely you got my point. Bravo 👏
    ------ Post added on May 11, 2021 at 8:17 AM

Last edited:

aquaman2020

• Dec 23, 2020
    Bangkok
    Well, question is not if I have anything to hide or not. Parents often violate the privacy of their adult children by entering bedrooms without knocking, attempting to overhear telephone conversations, opening personal mail, infringing on personal time, giving unsolicited advice, and going through personal possessions. Don’t you think this behaviour put your children self esteem??? When you have an adult child they need their personal space no matter where they live..... I feel parents should be open to ask if children need any help rather than forcing them...

Depends on what grounds

Just wait for them baiyas to trigger and scream about how privacy is bad blah blah

• Haha

tharakaf

• Oct 19, 2020
    Well, question is not if I have anything to hide or not. Parents often violate the privacy of their adult children by entering bedrooms without knocking, attempting to overhear telephone conversations, opening personal mail, infringing on personal time, giving unsolicited advice, and going through personal possessions. Don’t you think this behaviour put your children self esteem down??? When you have an adult child they need their personal space no matter which country they live..... I feel parents should be open to ask if children need any help rather than forcing them... do you appreciate if someone spy on you

Depends on what grounds

@Renu77 Well the answer will depend machan. If you take the SL culture in to account this is how the things happen. Our culture isn't geared up to allow free thinking kids to run around. There should be proper guidance. Just see how many assholes we have now. I actually appreciate my parents putting the necessary amount of pressure attention to my work. They never over stepped and if they did it was with the intention of making sure that I would stay out of trouble. I think the key thing here was that I too knew and understood this. So I never treated this as invading my privacy.

Some parents are too strict. I won't argue on that. But to a certain age I think parents need to keep tabs on what kids do. After all our society isn't a place where you can allows kids to just roam free.

And most of all kids need to know to use the freedom properly before lecturing parents on privacy.

Renu77

• Apr 28, 2021
    @Renu77 Well the answer will depend machan. If you take the SL culture in to account this is how the things happen. Our culture isn't geared up to allow free thinking kids to run around. There should be proper guidance. Just see how many assholes we have now. I actually appreciate my parents putting the necessary amount of pressure attention to my work. They never over stepped and if they did it was with the intention of making sure that I would stay out of trouble. I think the key thing here was that I too knew and understood this. So I never treated this as invading my privacy.

Some parents are too strict. I won't argue on that. But to a certain age I think parents need to keep tabs on what kids do. After all our society isn't a place where you can allows kids to just roam free.

And most of all kids need to know to use the freedom properly before lecturing parents on privacy.
    I am sorry I completely disagree with your opinion. When you have adult kids they need some space even to their own stuff.... if you can’t trust your children don’t buy a phone... why you give a child a gun and say don’t shoot.... my personal view is you need to check without showing them that you keep a tab on them. I’m a Sri Lankan but I don’t want any one to treat me as if I were 19 years old when I’m in my 20s

Reactions: Bad_horse

tharakaf

• Oct 19, 2020
    I am sorry I completely disagree with your opinion. When you have adult kids they need some space even to their own stuff.... if you can’t trust your children don’t buy a phone... why you give a child a gun and say don’t shoot.... my personal view is you need to check without showing them that you keep a tab on them. I’m a Sri Lankan but I don’t want any one to treat me as if I were 19 years old when I’m in my 20s
    Ok you have a point if you are talking about been over 18.