Now in Mexico....

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    Today we did a walking tour of the city by ourselves. It's qute interesting. Everyone cleans their door steps early in the morning. The city cleaners start earlier than that. The poster/graffiti cleaners do their part as well.
    Honestly the city is much more cleaner than Paris or London. :unsure:
    We visited the important sites. There are book vendors, (both new and old) and there are many people buying books. Mostly Spanish. There are areas kilometers long lke Panchikawatta, anything and everything is there. They repair anything from a home blender to a Washing machine on-site. Heaps of spare parts.
    Will post some more photos tomorrow. Have to star early tomorrow to Teotihuacán and a couple of other places.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started driving to Teotihuacán sharp 7 AM from the hotel Arrived at the pyramids at 8.10 AM. It's a drive outwards from the city and no congestion. Also better to finish the visit during the early morning Sun.
    Entrance Fee is 95.00 Peso per person (less than 6 USD) and the car an extra 50.00
    Hardly anyone was there at that time. The tourist buses start later in the day. Here are some photos.

The entrance to the site museum.

The Sun Pyramid as seen from one corner.

The Sun Pyramid, side view with the Sun just rising from the top.

The access road to the Moon Pyramid and the Moon Pyramid itself. There's a massive central road (the Street of the Dead) and buildings including the Temple of the Sun and the Temple of the Moon. These are not military strutures.

The above are the plaques posted at the site providing some information.

------ Post added on Mar 13, 2024 at 5:35 AM

Wow
    Nice scenery
    Sun light
    Nice foods
    Nice women

What else
    Yes... If you think Vietnam is the place for street food, forget Vietnam - this place everywhere street food. The Mexicans seem to be eating all the time too.
    Street foods are quite cheap compared to Restaurant food.
    We have finished the Mexico city and stayted for four days. Will leave tomorrow and fly to Tuxtla early in the morning. About one and a half our flight.

Within a very short distance from our hotel there's a UNESCO World Heritage site and below is what's now left of this majestic structure. The Spaniards demolished it and built churches just nearby. :(
    It's the Templo Mayor (Main Temple) in Tenochtitlan, capital of the mighty Aztec empire, which was located in the center of the city. It was very important to the Aztecs. Standing about ninety feet high, the majestic structure consisted of two stepped pyramids rising side by side on a huge platform. This is what's left of it now.

------ Post added on Mar 14, 2024 at 6:39 AM

Last edited:

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    Flew to San Cristobal today. San Cristobal de las Casas is a colonial city in Mexico's state Chiapas, where you can admire the architecture, eat in great restaurants.
    It's the gateway to two waterfalls Agua Azul and Agua Misol-Ha and also to Palenque (Tomb of the Red Queen)
    I am not driving the stretch to Palenque as it's dangerous and opted for a tour agency. They start at 4 AM from San Cristobal and drop you back at the hotel at 10 PM.

Inside a handcraft shop in San Cristobal.

Last edited:

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    Just returned from a trip to Agua Azul, Misol-Ha (Two waterfalls on the way to Palenque) and palanque. Didn't drive but took a group van. They picked us up at 4 AM from the hotel, 12 in one van. The van drivers meet at a Petrol station and about 15 vans go together. The road is not very safe because they rob you on the way if you are alone. That's why I didn't drive.
    Just returned back to the hotel at 11 PM. It's a very long trip.

Here's photo of Agua Azul waterfall. It's a cascaded fall and quite large. Azul is Spanish for Blue. I will post some photos in Palanque later. Tomorrow early have to travel to Sumidoro Canyon, another lovely spot.

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    ටොපි කොල වතුර බෝතල් එහෙම දාලා ගිහින් නැද්ද
    A big NO... Very clean. Each vendor in the area sweeps even when tree leaves fall in their area. There are bins everywhere for waste. Even the Mexico city is very very clean.
    Yesterday at Agua Azul, we spet two hours as many took a bath there. Kids and teenagers sell cut mango, sugar cane, chocolates and bananas. Also a Kurumba is about 30 pesos. Lovey kids, smiling faces mostly girls.
    There's a small variety of a mango, ambarella fruit size but extremely tasty. Pineapple is nice too.
    The kids try to sell something. They come in pairs and mostly from the same family. Two came to us, eldest about 9 and her sister about 6. One selling sugar cane the younger one bananas.
    The eldest talked to me in Spanish, I can understand but can reply in broken. She said school holidays. After a while she came back with a red flower and gave it to my wife. Anyway when we were about to go I gave them 30 pesos to have lunch. She thanked and immediately ran with her sister and bought food.

ek_rosh

• May 9, 2014
    Oops.. Return is CUN -SFO - and onwards. I have nothing to do in SFO either, have visited Yosemite, Lake Tahoe areas during both the summer and early spring. One of my wife's batchmates resides in Palo Alto. She likes to visit her and then probably drive to places where we haven't been before. Many Thanks! (y)

Drive from SFO to SD thru LA along the coast. One of the most beautiful rides in the US.

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    Drive from SFO to SD thru LA along the coast. One of the most beautiful rides in the US.
    Thanks... I have done it. Driven from SFO, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, San Diego, Las Vegas. Have visited USA & Canada over five times before and covered most of the National parks. Done Alaska as well.
    This time using SFO only as break on our return from Cancun. (We flew UA from HTX and return to SFO). Will stay in Big Sur and somewhere else nearby too. My wife does the bookings - I am only the driver - but now there's another for that too. I am nearly redundant. (My 23 year old drives anywhere)

imhotep

• Mar 29, 2017
    Some photos from Palenque and the Tomb of the Red Queen. Now You can enter into the tomb.

It's a vast area and will take hours. All ruins. The jungle tour another couple of hours. We timed early spring but the heat is severe. By the time you reach Palenque from San Cristobal, its past 2 PM and the temperatures were past 36 deg.

Last edited:

scurvy

• Oct 2, 2008
    GraphicsGods.com
    www.graphicsgods.com
    Just arrived today in Mexico, Flew in from Houston. Staying in NH Selections Centro Historico hotel , quite a central location. Many places to see around within walking distance. Very lively, music and dancing all around even in the restaurants.
    Will start visiting the ancient sites from tomorrow onwards and stay more than two weeks this time covering everything. I have been here before but the others haven't.
    Quite nice weather but some ruins have to be visited quite early before the sun gets worse.

Just behind the hotel. Central square.

Itin mata pukada ponnayo?

• Haha
    Reactions: Mahesh Wanasinghe