"Sinhala Only Act " Official Language Act No. 33 of 1956 by SWRD

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    Completely useless logic there. Prove me how a language can develop a country ? There are more than enough countries which English isn't their first language.. yet they are developed countries..
    China, India, Sweden, Germany, France, Korea, Japan and so forth

there are countries which English is 1 of their primary languages, yet they suffer from poverty ...
    take most of the African countries for an example.

now what ?
    Bullshit
    You stupid , I think here @ShiningStar has proved how stupid you are . Thanks for visiting this thread, you need brains and common sense to understand these facts

The 1956 language act did not ban English. The first language was Sinhala and the second language was English. It was perfectly reasonable policy.

The language act was in 1956. The Tamils ran a riot in 1957 after the civil disabilities act was passed. This act prohibited caste discrimination. So the riot was triggered a year later even though the popular narrative it happened due to language. Things can also be traced to issues further back.

Although people think the language was the issue. Had that not happened no one would be complaining about SWRD or his language act.
    How naive you are , look at the way he spoke and what he spoke.

He wanted to create an elite version of Sri Lanka which led his children to run the show which is valid to date. Imagine if our parents thought English so well, they wouldn't have listened none of the politicians today , so we are
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 4:18 PM

Reactions: ShiningStar

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    He wanted to create an elite version of Sri Lanka which led his children to run the show which is valid to date. Imagine if our parents thought English so well, they wouldn't have listened none of the politicians today , so we are

Have you taken a step back to think what you are complaining about?

You are complaining the govt at the time making Sinhala spoken by a majority of the people - its national language! They did not ban English.

I think this only happens in Sri Lanka.

Last edited:

EON

• Nov 4, 2012
    Research shows a direct correlation between the English skills of a population and the economic performance of the country. Indicators like gross national income (GNI) and GDP go up. In our latest edition of the EF English Proficiency Index (EF EPI), the largest ranking of English skills by country, we found that in almost every one of the 60 countries and territories surveyed, a rise in English proficiency was connected with a rise in per capita income. And on an individual level, recruiters and HR managers around the world report that job seekers with exceptional English compared to their country’s level earned 30-50% percent higher salaries.

englishandincome.gif

The interaction between English proficiency and gross national income per capita is a virtuous cycle, with improving English skills driving up salaries, which in turn give governments and individuals more money to invest in language training. On a micro level, improved English skills allow individuals to apply for better jobs and raise their standards of living.

This is one explanation for why Northern European countries are always out front in the EF EPI, with Sweden taking the top spot for the last two years. Given their small size and export-driven economies, the leaders of these nations understand that good English is a critical component of their continued economic success.

It’s not just income that improves either. So does the quality of life. We also found a correlation between English proficiency and the Human Development Index, a measure of education, life expectancy, literacy, and standards of living. As you can see in the chart below, there is a cutoff mark for that correlation. Low and very low proficiency countries display variable levels of development. However, no country of moderate or higher proficiency falls below “Very High Human Development” on the HDI.

betterqualityoflife.gif

For business leaders, knowing which countries are investing in and improving in English can give valuable insight into how a country fits into the global marketplace and how that might affect your company’s strategy. Here are just a few of the questions you might consider:

• Which countries are aggressively improving their English proficiency in an effort to attract businesses like mine?
    • Where could poor English hinder the growth of emerging economies?
    • In which countries should I target my international recruitment efforts?
    • As we think about expanding globally, where will my existing, native English-speaking employees find it easiest to relocate?
    Business leaders who understand which nations are positioning themselves for a smoother entry into the global marketplace will have a competitive advantage over those who don’t. Your company needs to know how the center of English language aptitude is shifting. Because knowing English is not just a luxury—it’s the sine qua non of global business today.

source :- https://hbr.org/2013/11/countries-with-better-english-have-better-economies
    Your initial claim and this explanation is totally against each other. It's obvious we need engineer to compete with the world. no objection in that. But your initial claim was about making Sinhala the primary language and not English.

lets not derail.

You stupid , I think here @ShiningStar has proved how stupid you are . Thanks for visiting this thread, you need brains and common sense to understand these facts

How naive you are , look at the way he spoke and what he spoke.

------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    poor you. go back and check again. compare his initial claim and his bloody as citation from an online article.. do they look similar ? if they do then that proves who is the stupid here. :lol:
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 4:48 PM

ShiningStar

• Dec 27, 2017
    Your initial claim and this explanation is totally against each other. It's obvious we need engineer to compete with the world. no objection in that. But your initial claim was about making Sinhala the primary language and not English.

lets not derail.

poor you. go back and check again. compare his initial claim and his bloody as citation from an online article.. do they look similar ? if they do then that proves who is the stupid here. :lol:
    when did i claim sinhala should be the primary language ? :confused:

lovethebomb

• Apr 18, 2015
    Let’s remember that an oxbridge guy, who himself didn't have a handle of Sinhala or cared enough to learn it properly, pushed this act. The deed was as good as current nakiya trying to virtue signal by senselessly uphailing ethno-centric views.

Why do I say it was a dirty trick? Well he could have easily attempted to promote Sinhalese nationalism without going for a bar-iron rule of a Sinhala Only Act (the name alone is distasteful), knowing very well that this is going to impose problems for the ethnic minorities. Not only did this deteriorated our chances of becoming global citizens, we inherited a three decade worth of civil war thanks to it.

Last edited:

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009

lets not derail.

You are, there is no second thought , just drop all the concerns, let's talk about the reality , are you happy with our digital media content which has published in Sinhala medium , are you happy with our Sinhala syllabus ? Do you think our science syllabus is up-to-date ? Do you think our school teachers ? Do you know how many can read an article published in English ? Common , don't be a donkey get the facts

ShiningStar

• Dec 27, 2017
    Japan, China or Korea wasn't a colony of English :rofl:
    actually hong kong was. they were way ahead of china with a higher gdp capita those days. hong knong now belongs to china and still have a good gdp per capita.

You are, there is no second thought , just drop all the concerns, let's talk about the reality , are you happy with our digital media content which has published in Sinhala medium , are you happy with our Sinhala syllabus ? Do you think our science syllabus is up-to-date ? Do you think our school teachers ? Do you know how many can read an article published in English ? Common , don't be a donkey get the facts
    most people dont understand english can open up the world to them. english = more access to knowledge , information ,education ,etc.. you should type elakiri.com in english to visit this forum in the 1st place :lol: look at those guys who milk cash by selling ebay dropshipping ebooks on facebook. they simply get all of their information in english and write it in sinhala to milk some cash from their innocent customers who cant speak a word in english. :lol:
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM

Last edited:

rajitha.wijayaratne

• Jun 14, 2017
    Sinhala Only Act (the name alone is distasteful)

This was how the Tamil politicians referred to the Act. It was officially known as the 1956 language act.
    Not only did this deteriorated our chances of becoming global citizens, we inherited a three decade worth of civil war.

The war can be traced to other issues. It had nothing to do with the language.

I can refer you to the site here -> https://qr.ae/TUtFWm

EON

• Nov 4, 2012
    are you happy with our digital media content which has published in Sinhala medium - I have mixed feelings. so I'd say 50/50. The reason is because we can simply adopt to publish in both Primary language and English, but based on the situation.

are you happy with our Sinhala syllabus - I am happy with the Syllabus for Sinhala language. (check your question again)

Do you think our science syllabus is up-to-date ? -a big fat NO. Not only that, we should stop translating each and every Scientific term into Sinhala and teaching. This is valid for both Maths and IT too. I still don't remember those words they taught us in Sinhala.

Do you think our school teachers ? another big fat NO. But can we update them just by teaching English ? do you ever think ? I meet more than enough English people (UK especially) whose mother tongue is fucking English and some of their knowledge/common sense is way below than our Sinhala speaking ones. For an example, just because they know English, they can't simply read and understand an IT technical doc. simple as that.

to make them up to date, we need to teach them both English as well as the technology at the same time. We already have teachers with very good English knowledge, especially in those International schools. Look at their IT literacy for an example.. just because they knew English, did it improve their technical knowledge ? same goes with teachers of other subjects.

Do you know how many can read an article published in English ? Do you know as a percentage ? neither of us. but I know for a fact that the numbers are very low.

by the way behave yourself and use your words wise. Just because you know a word or two in English, it doesn't mean you get super powers to call one an Idiot or Donkey. if you do, then you must have gone through some serious parenting issues.

btw Now what ? do you see the point now ?
    pissu huttek

when did i claim sinhala should be the primary language ? :confused:
    oh fuck .. man please read carefully before you jump into any conclusions..
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 5:55 PM

Chethiya Wijayawardhana

• Feb 17, 2016
    Let’s remember that an oxbridge guy, who himself didn't have a handle of Sinhala or cared enough to learn it properly, pushed this act. The deed was as good as current nakiya trying to virtue signal by senselessly uphailing ethno-centric views.

Why do I say it was a dirty trick? Well he could have easily attempted to promote Sinhalese nationalism without going for a bar-iron rule of a Sinhala Only Act (the name alone is distasteful), knowing very well that this is going to impose problems for the ethnic minorities. Not only did this deteriorated our chances of becoming global citizens, we inherited a three decade worth of civil war thanks to it.
    But isn't that the nature of radical change.
    Revolutions tend to over-correct and go overboard.
    In 56 I don't think country's top priority was to become part of the Global citizenry or whatever.
    They were fed up with colonialism and after more than 500 years of enslavement they wanted to create a country for themselves.
    We keyboard warriors with our perfect 20/20 hindsight can criticize history all too easily for not getting things 100% right.
    I don't think that type of thinking will do justice to anyone

Reactions: Hugh Janus

sam_sajith

• May 25, 2009
    are you happy with our digital media content which has published in Sinhala medium - I have mixed feelings. so I'd say 50/50. The reason is because we can simply adopt to publish in both Primary language and English, but based on the situation.

are you happy with our Sinhala syllabus - I am happy with the Syllabus for Sinhala language. (check your question again)

Do you think our science syllabus is up-to-date ? -a big fat NO. Not only that, we should stop translating each and every Scientific term into Sinhala and teaching. This is valid for both Maths and IT too. I still don't remember those words they taught us in Sinhala.

Do you think our school teachers ? another big fat NO. But can we update them just by teaching English ? do you ever think ? I meet more than enough English people (UK especially) whose mother tongue is fucking English and some of their knowledge/common sense is way below than our Sinhala speaking ones. For an example, just because they know English, they can't simply read and understand an IT technical doc. simple as that.

to make them up to date, we need to teach them both English as well as the technology at the same time. We already have teachers with very good English knowledge, especially in those International schools. Look at their IT literacy for an example.. just because they knew English, did it improve their technical knowledge ? same goes with teachers of other subjects.

Do you know how many can read an article published in English ? Do you know as a percentage ? neither of us. but I know for a fact that the numbers are very low.

by the way behave yourself and use your words wise. Just because you know a word or two in English, it doesn't mean you get super powers to call one an Idiot or Donkey. if you do, then you must have gone through some serious parenting issues.

btw Now what ? do you see the point now ?
    pissu huttek

oh fuck .. man please read carefully before you jump into any conclusions..
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    Hey you arse, I might know one or two words in English but I talk to the point and I talk to the fact, unlike you I was raised in a practical environment, yes I had an parenting issue because my dad thought me what's wrong and what's correct in hardcore terms unlike you arse.

If you call me a pissu huttek I should call you back a mandabuddika huttek, because all what I said above was proven big time.

I was not against my mother tongue yet I was talking the reality. I think your granny must have visited SWRD making you all fluent in English parallel to their children or your parents may be 😂😂😂😂😂😂

actually hong kong was. they were way ahead of china with a higher gdp capita those days. hong knong now belongs to china and still have a good gdp per capita.

most people dont understand english can open up the world to them. english = more access to knowledge , information ,education ,etc.. you should type elakiri.com in english to visit this forum in the 1st place :lol: look at those guys who milk cash by selling ebay dropshipping ebooks on facebook. they simply get all of their information in english and write it in sinhala to milk some cash from their innocent customers who cant speak a word in english. :lol:
    No points elaborating this to these arses , selfish basterds ban leave them specially that @EON fellow who thinks he knows everything freaking fact which is making him a dumbass 😂😂😂😂
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 6:42 PM

lovethebomb

• Apr 18, 2015
    But isn't that the nature of radical change.
    Revolutions tend to over-correct and go overboard.
    In 56 I don't think country's top priority was to become part of the Global citizenry or whatever.
    They were fed up with colonialism and after more than 500 years of enslavement they wanted to create a country for themselves.
    We keyboard warriors with our perfect 20/20 hindsight can criticize history all too easily for not getting things 100% right.
    I don't think that type of thinking will do justice to anyone
    I get where you're coming from but no, I don't think it's an excusable misstep in this case. I'll tell you why it isn't. This could have been overlooked if not for the fact that the act clearly was not submitted with the greatest of intentions. If not for the trickery and malice it bore with it. Knowing very well what the driving force behind his views was, I think the matter of prognostication is irrelevant.

Also we were nearing the second half of the century. It’s not as ancient as it sounds.

ShiningStar

• Dec 27, 2017

No points elaborating this to these arses , selfish basterds ban leave them specially that @EON fellow who thinks he knows everything freaking fact which is making him a dumbass 😂😂😂😂
    true! he is talking all of his points in english though :lol:

shan4djfun

• Jun 18, 2007

honkong isnt a country bro. china is

ShiningStar

• Dec 27, 2017

dont forget to read comments

honkong isnt a country bro. china is
    well its was almost like a country. hong kong was a colony and dependent territory of the United Kingdom from 1841 to 1997. they had their own British national overseas passport (before 1997) , immigration department, currency and their own visa policies. people of hong kong had a better life than main land china
    ------ Post added on Mar 16, 2021 at 7:28 PM

EON

• Nov 4, 2012
    Hey you arse, I might know one or two words in English but I talk to the point and I talk to the fact, unlike you I was raised in a practical environment, yes I had an parenting issue because my dad thought me what's wrong and what's correct in hardcore terms unlike you arse.

If you call me a pissu huttek I should call you back a mandabuddika huttek, because all what I said above was proven big time.

I was not against my mother tongue yet I was talking the reality. I think your granny must have visited SWRD making you all fluent in English parallel to their children or your parents may be 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ane hukahan...

See you completely derailed when you freaking lost your points. if you can't argue a proper argument, just go find something else. you asked me couple questions and I gave my answers. what was your reply then ? some personal grudge .. :rolleyes: seems you were molested big time when you were young .. haha..

why don't you counter argue the points I have mentioned.. why make drama and avoid it ? you seems to be coming from SWRD's hora shots... must your granny.. that's why you seem so angry with that old fellow SWRD :lol:

talking to point, my ass.

BruceWayne92

• Oct 8, 2013
    Gotham City
    මූලිකම දේ මේ කතා කියන කට්ටිය ඒ තාලේ තිබ්බ ලංතාව ගැන දන්නේ නැහැ. අදටත් ප්‍රධාන භාෂාව විදිහට ඉංග්‍රීසි බාවිතා වුනානම් ඔය කට්ටියගෙන් වැඩි දෙනෙක් දැන් ඉන්න තත්වයේ නැහැ. හැබයි දෙමල කට්ටිය ප්‍රධාන තැන් වල ඉන්නවා. රටේ හැම අමාත්‍යංශ ලේතම්ලම වගේ දෙමල හැම ලෙක්ජර් කෙනෙත්ම වගේ දෙමල වෙනවා. රටේ 1956 වෙනකොට තිබ්බ ලොකුම ඉස්කෝල ගාන කීයද? ඉංග්‍රීසි ඉස්කෝල ගාන කීයද? ඒවා තිබ්බේ කොහෙද? පාලනය වුනේ කා යටතේද? කියලා හොයලා බලලා ඉවර වෙලා පොඩ්ඩක් මෙතන කතා කලා නම් හොදයි මම හිතන්නේ.
    ඕක කරෙ සුද්දා .

ඩිවයිඩ් ඇන්ඩ් රූල් .
    එත්නික් මයිනොරිටි කට්ටිය උඩ තැන් වලට එන්න හදනවා එත්නික් මෙජොරිටි කට්ටිය පාලනය කරන්න .
    ඕක කරා ඉන්දියාවෙ
    එතනදි කරෙ මුස්ලිම් උන් සහ හින්දු ආදි ලෙස.
    අපෙ කරෙ සිංහල සහ දමිළ ලෙස.

ලංකාවෙ ඒ කාලෙ හොඳ ඉංග්‍රිසි අධ්‍යාපනයක් තිබ්බෙ උතුරෙ ඉස්කොල වල.
    දෙමළ කට්ටිය තමා ආණ්ඩුවෙ ජොබ් වල 90% ක් ම ඉඳලා තියෙන්නෙත්.

Chethiya Wijayawardhana

• Feb 17, 2016
    I get where you're coming from but no, I don't think it's an excusable misstep in this case. I'll tell you why it isn't. This could have been overlooked if not for the fact that the act clearly was not submitted with the greatest of intentions. If not for the trickery and malice it bore with it. Knowing very well what the driving force was behind his views, I think the matter of prognostication is rather irrelevant.

Also we were nearing the second half of the century. It’s not as old as it sounds.
    Yes, that's exactly what it was.
    A misstep in a larger reform agenda.
    And it should be viewed as such.
    That is my point.
    Focusing solely on Sinhala only-ism with regards to what happed in 56 is rather convenient to way ignore the topic of decolonization altogether.
    Any discussion about what happed in 56 first and foremost should be situated in the larger context of decolonization.

Last edited:

EON

• Nov 4, 2012
    true! he is talking all of his points in english though :lol:
    In which point did I say we should not use English ? if you can understand fucking English show me a single point I have said so.
    Hutto mage rassawa duwanneth English uda. ithin pako To say NO we should use Sinhala instead, I must be fucking pissu.

we freaking need English for everything in this Era. there's no argument in that. my point is just because you know English it wouldn't give you any super powers. I freaking work with an all UK staff (i meant UK, where the fucking English was born) and I have seen hundreds of examples where they can't understand very easy technical stuff that is written in Pure UK English. they have English speaking idiots than you are.

stop talking nonsense ban. my point is we should start teaching all Scientific, Maths and IT terms in pure English. translating them into Sinhala is utter bullshit. these are the key players our subjects. can you teach Sinhala and Sinhala Literature in English ? gon athal.

That other idiot pretends like he knows all the English in this planet yet look at his arguments... when I answered them, the bugger derails to some gobba joke. That's his level of Education.

Reactions: Hugh Janus